At approximately 9:22 pm on Saturday December 29, 2018, the Martinsville Fire & EMS (MF & EMS) responded to a report of smoke coming from the front of Sparky’s convenience store located at 604 Starling Avenue within the City of Martinsville. The first arriving firefighters from Southside’s Company 2 fire station found flames showing from the front eave of the business. While confirming everyone was out of the business, firefighters were able to quickly ladder the building and perform a knockdown of the visible flames with less than 50 gallons of water. A thorough investigation of the rest of the attic area revealed the fire had been contained to the front left corner of the attic thanks to the quick recognition and calling 911 by the business owner and the quick response by MF & EMS. “Although we hate a local business has suffered a loss, it could have been much worse had it not been for the combined chain of events from the business owner recognizing the smoke and calling 911 quickly, the 911 dispatcher quickly dispatching Martinsville Fire & EMS and our firefighters being available to respond so quickly” stated Martinsville Fire Chief/Fire Marshal Ted Anderson.

The fire is believed to be accidental in nature and to have started in the attic. The Martinsville Fire & EMS Fire Marshal’s office is still investigating the fire at this time to affirm a more definitive point of origin. Martinsville Fire & EMS would like to thank the mutual aid received from the Ridgeway Volunteer Fire Department along with assistance from the Henry County Department of Public Safety, the City of Martinsville Police, Public Works and Electric Departments.