At approximately 7:38 a.m. this morning, Martinsville Fire & EMS responded to a residential structure fire in the 1000 block of Corn Tassel Trail within the City of Martinsville. The initial report stated the occupants saw smoke coming from the breaker panel, the roof and inside the home. Firefighters arrived to find smoke and flames extending from the rear roof area of the home directly above where the breaker panel was located. Fire crews were able to contain the blaze to the ceiling area of two rooms.

Everyone was able to escape the home without injury before firefighters arrived. Estimated damage to the home is $25,000.

“The biggest obstacle firefighters were met with were the frigid temperatures” stated Fire Chief/Fire Marshal Ted Anderson. “The temperature was around 12° when the call came in not counting the wind chill. You could tell how cold it was by the ice on the firefighters gear. We even had the brakes freeze on one of our fire engines.”

Anderson said he believes the fire is accidental and originated in the electrical conductors above the breaker panel in the attic.

While cleaning up from the Corn Tassel Trail fire, Martinsville Fire & EMS also responded to a fire alarm in the 100 block of E Main Street and another possible structure fire in the 110 block of Banner Street. The Main Street call ended up being a false alarm. The call on Banner Street was due to a wood stove that had malfunctioned. Firefighters assisted one homeowner from the resident and cleared the home of smoke.