Pope Francis resting after respiratory condition suddenly worsens
Nuns and the faithful attend Rosary prayers at St. Peter’s Square on February 28, 2025 in Vatican City, Vatican. The Vatican announced that there would be a recitation of the rosary for Pope Francis’s health, as he remains hospitalized following a respiratory infection. (Photo by Alessandra Benedetti – Corbis/Corbis via Getty Images)
(ROME) — Pope Francis is recovering today after suffering a “sudden worsening of his respiratory condition,” the Vatican said.
“The night passed peacefully, the Pope is resting,” the Vatican said Saturday morning, but this comes after a dramatic turn Friday when the Vatican said he suffered an “isolated attack of bronchospasm” which caused vomiting with inhalation.”
The pope underwent broncho aspiration and was put on non-invasive mechanical ventilation, with a good response in terms of gas exchange, the Vatican said.
The pontiff, who has been hospitalized in Rome since Feb. 14, remained alert and oriented while receiving treatment, the Vatican said.
His prognosis “remains uncertain,” the Vatican said, and it will take 24 to 48 hours to understand the impact of the coughing attack and whether it has a worsened effect on his general condition.
The pontiff, who has led the Catholic Church since 2013, was diagnosed with pneumonia last week, according to the Vatican.
(WASHINGTON) — Donald Trump was sworn into office on Monday for a second term in the White House, and international figures across the globe are sharing their reactions to the 47th president’s inauguration.
Here’s what world leaders are saying:
Russian President Vladimir Putin
Russian President Vladimir Putin congratulated Trump on his return to office, specifically his “desire to restore direct contacts with Russia, which were interrupted through no fault of our own by the outgoing administration.”
“We also hear his statements about the need to do everything to prevent a third World War,” Putin said during a meeting with members of the Russian Security Council. “Of course, we welcome this attitude and congratulate the U.S. president-elect on taking office.”
Pope Francis
Pope Francis sent a message to Trump wishing him “wisdom, strength and protection.”
“Inspired by your nation’s ideals of being a land of opportunity and welcome for all, it is my hope that under your leadership the American people will prosper and always strive to build a more just society, where there is no room for hatred, discrimination or exclusion,” the pope said.
He also encouraged Trump to be a promoter of peace, as “our human family faces numerous challenges, not to mention the scourge of war.”
“I invoke upon you, your family, and the beloved American people an abundance of divine blessings,” the pope said.
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau
Canada’s outgoing prime minister, Justin Trudeau, shared his congratulations to Trump.
“Congratulations, President Trump. Canada and the U.S. have the world’s most successful economic partnership. We have the chance to work together again — to create more jobs and prosperity for both our nations,” he wrote on X.
U.K. Prime Minister Keir Starmer
Keir Starmer, the prime minister of the United Kingdom, also gave his regards to Trump.
“The special relationship between the U.K. and the U.S. will continue to flourish for years to come,” Starmer said in a video posted on X. “With President Trump’s long-standing affection and historical ties to the United Kingdom, I know that depth of friendship will continue.”
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy wished success to Trump and said he looks forward to “active and mutually beneficial cooperation” between the two countries.
“Today is a day of change and also a day of hope for the resolution of many problems, including global challenges,” he wrote on X. “We are stronger together, and we can provide greater security, stability, and economic growth to the world and our two nations.”
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi
Narendra Modi, the prime minister of India, called Trump his “dear friend” while congratulating him on his inauguration.
“I look forward to working closely together once again, to benefit both our countries, and to shape a better future for the world,” Modi wrote on X. “Best wishes for a successful term ahead!”
President of the European Commission Ursula von der Leyen
Ursula von der Leyen, the president of the European Commission, said the EU “looks forward to working closely” with Trump.
“Together, our societies can achieve greater prosperity and strengthen their common security,” she wrote on X. “This is the enduring strength of the transatlantic partnership.”
King Charles III
Buckingham Palace confirmed to ABC News that King Charles III sent a personal message of congratulations to Trump on his inauguration, reflecting on the enduring special relationship between the U.K. and the U.S.
This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.
(WASHINGTON) — Smartphones, sneakers and board games headline a wide-ranging set of products at risk of price increases as a result of China tariffs imposed by the Trump administration, experts told ABC News.
The tariffs, which took effect on Tuesday, slap a 10% tax on all imported goods from China, the third-largest U.S. trade partner.
The Trump administration had also threatened to impose 25% tariffs on Mexico and Canada, but the U.S. reached an agreement with each of those countries on Monday, pausing the tariffs for one month.
Still, trade experts said they expect the China tariffs to increase prices paid by U.S. shoppers, since importers typically pass along a share of the cost of those higher taxes to consumers. The tariffs could hike prices for an array of goods, from curtains to saucepans to winter coats.
“If you could light up everything around you that has been touched by Chinese manufacturing or inputs, your whole room would light up,” Christine McDaniel, a former senior trade economist on the White House Council of Economic Advisers under President George W. Bush, told ABC News.
The exact price impact remains unclear, however, since businesses within the supply chain could opt to take on some or all of the tax burden, some experts added.
The Trump administration did not immediately respond to ABC News’ request for comment.
In a series of social media posts over recent days, Trump said the tariffs target Canada, Mexico and China for hosting the manufacture and transport of illicit drugs that end up in the United States. In a Truth Social post on Sunday, Trump urged the three countries to address his concerns, while acknowledging the tariffs may cause some financial hardship within the U.S.
“WILL THERE BE SOME PAIN? YES, MAYBE (AND MAYBE NOT!). BUT WE WILL MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN, AND IT WILL ALL BE WORTH THE PRICE THAT MUST BE PAID,” Trump wrote.
Smartphones, laptops and video game consoles
Personal electronic devices make up a top category of products imported from China, meaning price increases could impact tablets, smartphones and laptops, experts said. Video cameras, headphones and video game consoles would also be impacted.
The U.S. imported $31.6 billion worth of electronic computers from China over the first nine months of last year, U.S. Census Bureau data showed. Those products accounted for 30% of the total value of U.S. computer imports over that period, the data indicated.
“The consumer electronic sector is heavily integrated across Asia — China being a huge center of that,” McDaniel said. “That would presumably be at the top of the list.”
Tennis shoes and sandals
Nearly all footwear sold in the U.S. comes from abroad, and much of it originates in China. That set of products includes tennis shoes, sandals and high heels, among others.
The U.S. imports between 96% and 99% of all footwear sold nationwide, the United States International Trade Commission, or USITC, found in 2020.
China accounts for about $4 of every $10 in imported footwear sold to U.S. buyers, according to the USITC.
Footwear could suffer significant price hikes since the Chinese firms manufacturing the products often face narrow profit margins, lending them little latitude to take on some of the tax burden, Mary Lovely, a senior fellow at the Peterson Institute for International Economics who studies trade policy, told ABC News.
If sellers were to pass along the full burden of the tariffs to U.S. consumers, it would amount to a 10% price increase. Lovely said the price hike for footwear could approach that upper limit.
“For items like this, I’d expect the price increases would be closer to 10% than 1%,” Lovely said.
Toys and games
As with footwear, almost all toys and games sold in the U.S. are imported. China accounts for the vast majority of those products.
The U.S. imported $18.8 billion worth of toys and games from China over the first nine months of last year, U.S. Census Bureau data showed. Those products accounted for nearly 80% of the total value of U.S. computer imports over that period, the data indicated.
Shares of toy companies fell on Monday in anticipation of the China tariffs. Mattel’s stock price fell about 4.5% while Hasbro’s dropped 2%. Each of the companies recovered much of the losses on Tuesday. They both source a lower share of their products from China than the industry average, MarketWatch reported.
Rafael Caro Quintero is one of the most-wanted individuals by U.S. law enforcement after torturing and killing a Drug Enforcement agent in 1985. (Provided by the FBI)
(WASHINGTON) — A once-powerful drug lord convicted of one of the most notorious killings in the history of the Mexican narco wars is among 29 individuals Mexico transferred Thursday to the United States, law enforcement sources told ABC News.
Among those extradited is Rafael Caro Quintero, who was convicted of the 1985 torture and murder of U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration agent Enrique “Kiki” Camarena.
Camarena joined the DEA in 1974, the year after its founding.
For more than four years in Mexico, Camarena investigated the country’s biggest marijuana and cocaine traffickers.
In early 1985, close to unlocking a multibillion-dollar drug pipeline, he was kidnapped while headed to a luncheon with his wife. His capture and torture were dramatized in Season 1 of the Netflix show “Narcos.”
Quintero was arrested in Mexico and convicted of Camarena’s murder later that same year.
He was released in 2013 after serving 28 years of his 40-year sentence when a Mexican judge ruled that he had been improperly tried. Quintero promptly went into hiding, as U.S. officials stridently condemned the release.
In 2018, he was added to the FBI’s 10 Most Wanted list, with a $20 million reward available for information leading to his arrest or capture.
At the time, the FBI said that he was allegedly involved in the Sinaloa cartel and the Caro-Quintero drug trafficking organization in the region of Badiraguato in Sinaloa, Mexico, and warned that he should be considered “armed and extremely dangerous.”
The criminal ringleader was once again detained in Mexico in 2022, nearly 10 years after his release.
“We will be seeking his immediate extradition to the United States so he can be tried for these crimes in the very justice system Special Agent Camarena died defending,” a statement from then-Attorney General Merrick Garland read.
That effort was fulfilled Thursday, following a staunch effort on behalf of President Donald Trump’s administration to work with Mexico to curb cartels’ activity — including the decision to designate them foreign terrorism organizations.
“Beyond the name that they give, we share with the U.S. government the fight against these groups due to the violence that they leave in the country,” Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum said in February.
The extradition comes less than a week before the U.S. is set to impose 25% tariffs on its southern neighbor.
The other 28 individuals extradited to the U.S. alongside Quintero were wanted for their links with criminal organizations for drug trafficking and other crimes, according to Mexican sources.
Notable among them are: José Ángel Canobbio Inzunza (El Güerito), El Chapito’s right-hand; Antonio Oseguera (Tony Montana), brother of wanted drug lord El Mencho from the Jalisco New Generation cartel; Miguel Ángel y Óscar Omar Treviño Morales (Z40 y Z42) from Los Zetas; and Vicente Carrillo Fuentes (El Viceroy) from the Juárez cartel.
Quintero is expected to be arraigned in Brooklyn Federal Court late Friday morning. DEA agents are expected to pack the courtroom and speak outside court after the arraignment.
ABC News’ T. Michelle Murphy contributed to this report.