(HARRISON COUNTY, Ind.) — Three people were found dead in a murder-suicide after the shooter expressed suicidal thoughts to a family member, according to authorities.
Harrison County deputies responded to a welfare check on Wednesday at a residence in southern Indiana after a Mississippi man reported that his brother expressed suicidal thoughts to him in a phone call earlier in the day, according to the Harrison County Sheriff’s Department.
Deputies found a dead man on the front porch, identified as 36-year-old Brett Dixon, the sheriff’s department said.
Inside the residence, two additional people were found dead, Melissa Cochran Dixon, 54, and Paul Dixon, 61, according to the sheriff’s office.
Brett Dixon was shot twice — in the chest and head — Melissa Cochran Dixon suffered a single gunshot wound to the head and Paul Dixon sustained a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head, according to the sheriff’s office.
The sheriff’s office said it believes Paul Dixon is responsible for the shootings and said there is no threat to the community and no suspect at large.
“This incident is a tragic loss, and our thoughts and prayers are with the family, extended family, and friends of those involved,” the sheriff’s office said in a statement.
Mohammad Baqer Saad Dawood al-Saadi is pictured with the late Iranian Gen. Qasem Soleimani. (Dept. of Justice)
(NEW YORK) — An Iraqi national carried out 20 reported terrorist attacks in Europe and Canada against U.S. and Israeli interests, including the stabbing of a Jewish-American citizen, in retaliation for the war in Iran and in an effort to halt the conflict, a federal criminal complaint alleges.
Mohammad Baqer Saad Dawood al-Saadi allegedly firebombed a Bank of New York Mellon building in Amsterdam, tried to detonate improvised explosives at the Bank of America building in Paris, coordinated an attack against Jewish institutions in the United States and stabbed two people in London, the complaint alleges.
The defendant made an initial appearance Friday in Manhattan federal court on charges he conspired to provide material support to terrorist groups, conspiracy to bomb a place of public use and other offenses.
Al-Saadi was apprehended in Turkey and passed to American authorities. His lawyer, Andrew Dalack, a federal defender, said he was unaware of any extradition proceedings.
“This is a bit of an unusual case,” Dalack said.
During his appearance, Al-Saadi spoke quietly, but animatedly, to his lawyer to make sure the lawyer understood his connection to the late Iranian Gen. Qasem Soleimani, who was killed in a U.S. strike in Iraq, and referred to himself as a prisoner of war and political prisoner.
Al-Saadi was ordered detained. He is next in court May 29.
Federal prosecutors said in addition to the terror attacks in Europe and Canada, al-Saadi also allegedly spoke to an FBI undercover — and paid $3,000 — to plan attacks in California, Arizona and a synagogue in Manhattan.
Al-Saadi is a high-level member of the Kata’ib Hizballah paramilitary group and has ties to the Iran Revolutionary Guard Corps and Hezbollah, according to federal prosecutors.
Since the onset of the U.S. and Israeli war against Iran, Al-Saadi “has directed and urged others to attack U.S. and Israeli interests, including by killing Americans and Jews, in retaliation for the Iranian Military Conflict and to further the terrorist goals of Kata’ib Hizballah and the IRGC,” the criminal complaint alleges.
The complaint adds, “Al-Saadi and his associates have planned, coordinated, and claimed responsibility for at least 18 terrorist attacks in Europe as well as two additional attacks in Canada, in the name of Harakat Ashab al-Yamin al-Islamiya, a component of Kata’ib Hizballah.”
The defendant allegedly pledged thousands of dollars to someone he thought would carry out an attack against a synagogue in New York, according to prosecutors. The individual turned out to be an undercover law enforcement officer.
At least one associate of al-Saadi is expected to be brought back to the U.S. and charged, the complaint says.
“This case puts into stark relief the global threats posed by the Iranian regime and its proxies like Kata’ib Hizballah — Foreign Terrorist Organizations that have repeatedly targeted Jewish communities across Europe and the United States since the war began,” said New York City Police Commissioner Jessica Tisch. “Working with our law enforcement partners, we disrupted a plan to attack a Manhattan synagogue, and in partnership with the synagogue’s leadership, ensured its security when the threat was elevated.”
The cast of ‘Boys of Tommen.’ (Christian Tierney/Prime Video)
The main cast for the Boys of Tommen TV series adaptation has been revealed.
Prime Video has cast Nancy Surridge, Conor Sánchez, James O’Donoghue and Sophie McGibbon as the main cast in this adaptation of Irish author Chloe Walsh’s bestselling romance book series. They will play the characters Shannon Lynch, Johnny Kavanagh, Joey Lynch and Aoife Molloy, respectively.
Boys of Tommen follows a forbidden love story between star rugby player Johnny and the shy new girl, Shannon, at the prestigious private school of Tommen College.
“Both teenagers are hiding secrets; Johnny, a potentially career-ending injury, and Shannon, a troubled and violent homelife. Through their secret and highly charged connection, the two teens from opposite worlds battle against the odds and find a way to save each other,” according to an official description from Prime Video.
The show will be directed by Brendan Canty and was adapted by Poppy Cogan. It’s based on the first two books in Walsh’s series.
“As someone who grew up in Cork, where these stories are set, this project feels incredibly personal to me. Poppy has done an amazing job adapting Chloe’s beloved books, and the way both writers capture young people’s lives with such empathy, tenderness and honesty feels truly extraordinary to me,” Canty said in a press release. “To do justice to the world they’ve created, we knew that finding the right cast was going to be everything. We searched far and wide, receiving over 3,000 casting suggestions from across the UK and Ireland, but from the moment Nancy, Conor, James and Sophie walked into the room, it was clear we’d found something beyond special. Each of them brings the spirit and emotional depth this story demands, and I couldn’t be more excited to bring Chloe’s world to the screen with this extraordinary young cast.”
Ella Rubin is headed to the woods with Maya Hawke and Kerry Condon.
Netflix has announced that Rubin has joined the cast of the upcoming series The God of the Woods. It will be a series adaptation of the bestselling novel by Liz Moore.
The God of the Woods is a multigenerational drama series that’s set in the Adirondacks. It explores the Van Laar family’s dark secrets, as well as the mysteries surrounding the disappearance of 13-year-old Barbara Van Laar from her family’s summer camp and an earlier family tragedy.
“As the past and present collide, the Van Laars’ wealth and influence unravel, revealing the damaging consequences of privilege and the abuse of power,” according to an official description from Netflix.
Rubin is set to play the series regular role of Louise Donnadieu, a working-class counselor at Camp Emerson. Her life is upended when one of her young campers goes missing. She joins Hawke and Condon, who will play Judy Luptack and Alice Van Laar, respectively.
Liz Hannah and Liz Moore serve as co-showrunners, writers and executive producers on this upcoming series.
University Of Washington Campus, The Quad With Flowering Cherry Trees In Spring (Wolfgang Kaehler/LightRocket via Getty Images)
(SEATTLE)– The transgender University of Washington student who was killed in a student housing building suffered over 40 stab wounds to the head, neck, shoulder, arms and hands, according to the probable cause statement.
Juniper Blessing, 19, was found covered in blood in the laundry room of the Nordheim Court building on Sunday night, according to court documents.
The suspect, 31-year-old Christopher Leahy, surrendered to police on Wednesday and was booked for first-degree murder, documents said.
“Our family has been shattered,” Blessing’s family said in a statement released by the Human Rights Alliance. “Juniper was simply the most amazing human being we have ever known — highly intelligent, extremely talented, and deeply sensitive to the needs of others. Juniper’s loss not only devastates us but diminishes the world.”
“A gifted singer with a transcendent voice, Juniper was admitted to New Mexico School for the Arts, where they studied from 2020 until 2024,” the family said. “Weather was a love of Juniper’s since early childhood, and at the University of Washington they intended to study Atmospheric Science while continuing to study voice and pursuing minors in Music and Philosophy. They loved Seattle and Santa Fe, where they worked as an usher during summers at the Santa Fe Opera.”
“Juniper was courageously living their life as who they were until it was cut tragically short,” the family said.
According to court documents, another Nordeim Court resident told police that shortly before 10 p.m. Sunday, a man followed her when she used her card to access the building and laundry room.
She said the man told her he was waiting for his laundry. Surveillance video shows them in the laundry room and the suspect “appears to be visually searching the room for cameras,” court documents said, before he left the room.
A video from 10 p.m. shows Blessing in the laundry room, and the suspect “comes back into the laundry room and stares directly into the camera,” documents said.
The suspect “appears to follow the path of the cord with his eyes and head from the camera around the wall above the doorway,” documents said. “He then turns to exit the laundry room, something clatters to the ground and he pauses. He continues out of the laundry room at 10:00:27 p.m.”
“Blessing is seen cleaning the lint tray, appears to add more time to the dryer, then stands up and deposits the lint into the garbage at the end of the bank of dryers. … The video stops at 10:01:01 p.m.,” documents said.
Seattle police released the images of the suspect in the laundry room, documents said. A man named Patrick Leahy contacted police saying the suspect in the image was “without a doubt” his brother, Christopher Leahy, according to the documents, and a friend also reached out to police identifying Christopher Leahy as the man in the photo.
Christopher Leahy’s attorney called the Bellevue Police Department on Wednesday night to say he was turning himself in, documents said. Christopher Leahy came to the department with his parents and was taken into custody, the documents said.
Christopher Leahy made his first court appearance on Thursday and is due back in court on Monday, according to ABC Seattle affiliate KOMO. He has not entered a plea.
In this handout photo provided by the Metropolitan Nashville Police Department, Dalton Eatherly poses for a police booking photo in Nashville, Tenn. (Metropolitan Nashville Police Department via Getty Images, FILE)
(CLARKSVILLE, Tenn.) — Rage-baiting livestreamer Dalton Eatherly, known online as “Chud the Builder,” is being held on $1.25 million bond after being charged with attempted murder in connection with a shooting outside a Tennessee courthouse.
Eatherly, 28, and another man sustained gunshot wounds during the shooting incident Wednesday outside the Montgomery County Courthouse in Clarksville, according to the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office.
There was a “physical altercation that escalated to gunfire,” the sheriff’s office said in a statement.
Following an investigation into the shooting, Eatherly was arrested later that day and charged with attempted murder, as well as employing a firearm during a dangerous felony, aggravated assault and reckless endangerment with a deadly weapon, according to the sheriff’s office.
During his arraignment on the charges Friday, Judge Reid Poland III noted the need to “protect the public interest and public safety” due to the seriousness of the charges and the public location of the shooting, while setting the bond at $1.25 million.
The prosecutor asked for the bond to be addressed at a later hearing so the court could review all factors, including a pending case Eatherly has in Davidson County, and “make an informed decision.”
Eatherly’s next bond hearing has been scheduled for May 21, and a preliminary hearing for May 26. ABC News has reached out to his attorney for comment.
Online court records show Eatherly had a civil debt appearance scheduled Wednesday morning at the Montgomery County courthouse, though it’s unclear if he attended the hearing.
He was involved in a “confrontation” with another man outside the courthouse, District Attorney General Robert Nash, whose district covers Montgomery County, said in a statement.
“The confrontation resulted in gunfire, and both men were taken for medical treatment,” Nash said.
Both men were transported to area hospitals in stable condition, according to the sheriff’s office. Authorities have not publicly identified the other man involved in the incident.
Eatherly has made a social media presence by recording and livestreaming his racist confrontations with Black people and others while touting his constitutionally protected right to do so.
The shooting incident came days after he was arrested in a separate incident in Nashville and charged with theft, disorderly conduct and resisting arrest, according to court records.
He was arrested over the weekend for allegedly refusing to pay for $371.55 in food and drink from a restaurant at the Omni Hotel where he had been livestreaming, according to court records.
When restaurant staff asked him to stop livestreaming during the incident on Saturday, “he became disruptive and started making racial statements, yelling, screaming and otherwise creating a scene at the location,” an affidavit filed in Davidson County Court stated.
Online court records do not list any attorney for Eatherly in that case.
The Department of Homeland Security logo is seen on a law enforcement vehicle in Washington. (Samuel Corum/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images)
(EL PASO, Texas) — The wife of an active-duty U.S. Army sergeant with 27 years of service was released from immigration custody on Thursday.
Deisy Fidelina Rivera Ortega was taken into custody on April 14 in El Paso, Texas, while attending a routine immigration interview related to a “Parole in Place” application — a program designed to allow undocumented family members of military personnel to remain in the U.S. legally.
She was released after being in federal custody for one month, her attorney told ABC News.
Rivera Ortega is married to Sgt. 1st Class Jose Serrano, a U.S. Army sergeant stationed at Fort Bliss who has been deployed to Afghanistan three times. He told ABC News last month that he and his wife had been “doing everything by the book.”
“She goes to work or to church,” Serrano said. “That’s the life of my wife, Deisy.”
Democratic Sen. Tammy Duckworth said she personally called Department of Homeland Security Secretary Markwayne Mullin to request Rivera Ortega’s release.
“I’m thankful to Secretary Mullin for heeding my personal call to release Deisy, but she — and so many others — should never have been in this situation to begin with,” Duckworth said in a statement to ABC News.
“Deisy was doing everything ‘the right way’: attending her Military Parole in Place interview, when she was detained by ICE with no warrant and no explanation,” said Duckworth, a Army veteran. “There is no higher betrayal to our heroes than having one of their family members deported by the same nation they sacrificed to defend.”
A spokesperson for the Department of Homeland Security did not respond to a request for comment from ABC News.
Rivera Ortega — who currently works for IHG Army Hotels at Fort Bliss — has a valid work permit through 2030 and was previously granted withholding of removal from her home country, El Salvador, according to documents reviewed by ABC News.
After being detained in April, she was facing deportation to a third country.
Rep. Steve Cohen pauses while speaking during a news conference in his office on Capitol Hill, May 15, 2026 in Washington. (Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)
(WASHINGTON) — Rep. Steve Cohen, a longtime Tennessee Democrat, announced Friday he will not seek reelection and instead retire at the end of his term, after his Memphis district was carved up in the state assembly’s redistricting effort.
“This is by far the most difficult moment I’ve had as an elected official,” Cohen said. his voice choked with emotion as he announced he sent a letter Friday to the state capital asking not to appear on the ballot.
“I don’t want to quit. I’m not a quitter, but these districts were drawn to beat me. They were drawn to defeat me,” Cohen said.
Cohen is the first Democratic representative to opt for retirement after the Supreme Court’s decision in Louisiana v. Callais, which held that race-conscious redistricting under Section 2 of the Voting Rights Act of 1965 is unconstitutional.
After the ruling, Tennessee state lawmakers passed a new congressional map that could allow Republicans to flip the state’s lone Democratic-held seat.
Cohen’s majority-minority district, Tennessee’s 9th congressional district, is being split in three. Cohen has sued over the new map in court, as have several civil rights groups.
“Butchered,” Rep. Bennie Thompson, a Mississippi Democrat whose district shares a border with Cohen, told ABC News about the Tennessee district.
“He’s represented a majority-minority district as a white person. He’s been well. He’s had a consistent vote on behalf of his constituents, and all of a sudden, the court says take that opportunity away,” Thompson said of Cohen. “But worse than that, Tennessee legislature split Memphis in three different ways. So now, as far as the Congress is concerned, there’s no real community of interest in Memphis, because they’re so divided.”
Cohen is the 22nd House Democrat to opt against reelection to the House this midterm election cycle.
“Memphis is my home, and that’s what I fight for, and I want to do it again. If I get the chance, I’ll do it, but otherwise I’ll be retiring from Congress, and from, I guess, from public life,” Cohen said.