Entertainment

Lionsgate executive ‘really excited about the progress’ on ‘Michael’ sequel

Jaafar Jackson as Michael Jackson in the upcoming film ‘Michael.’ (Lionsgate)

It seems progress is being made on a sequel to the Michael Jackson biopic Michael.

Lionsgate Studios Motion Picture Chair Adam Fogelson said he’s “really excited about the progress we’re making” on a sequel to Michael during the company’s quarterly earnings call on Thursday.

“All the conversations that we’ve been having with all of the appropriate parties continue to go exceptionally well, and I would say that there is a ton of incredibly entertaining Michael Jackson story, and much of the biggest and most popular parts of his music catalog that were not touched upon in the first film,” Fogelson said on the call.

As for what events from Jackson’s life would be covered in a potential second film, Fogelson said the studio “can go forwards and backwards in telling this story.”

“There are so many other events that happened, even in the time frame of the original movie, that weren’t touched upon. So we’re very, very confident that we’ve got an incredibly entertaining movie that will appeal once again to a global audience as the pieces come together,” Fogelson said.

The Lionsgate executive also said the studio has “25% to 30% of a second movie already shot from the prior production activity.”

“Obviously that will have some benefit ultimately. But we’ll make sure we make a big and satisfying movie for a global audience once again, so I wouldn’t want to quantify exactly what that’s going to look like. But undoubtedly that 25% to 30% will be material,” Fogelson said.

Michael opened in theaters on April 24. Directed by Antoine Fuqua, the film starred the King of Pop’s nephew Jaafar Jackson and also featured Colman Domingo, Miles Teller and Nia Long.

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Entertainment

Charlie Heaton to play Charles Shelby in ‘Peaky Blinders’ sequel series

Charlie Heaton as Charles Shelby in the ‘Peaky Blinders’ sequel series. (Robert Viglasky/Netflix/BBC)

We now know who Charlie Heaton will play in the Peaky Blinders universe.

Netflix and the BBC have revealed that Heaton is set to play Tommy Shelby’s eldest son in the upcoming Peaky Blinders sequel series. A photo of Heaton on set in costume as Charles Shelby has been released along with the announcement.

Heaton’s character had been a mystery since his casting was announced in April. Jamie Bell also joins the sequel series, taking over the role of Charles’ half brother, Duke, who was originally portrayed by Barry Keoghan.

The upcoming Peaky Blinders sequel series is written and created by Steven Knight. It is currently being filmed in and around Digbeth Loc. Studios in Birmingham, England.

This new Peaky Blinders era is set a decade after World War II. It follows the race to rebuild Birmingham as it becomes “a brutal contest of mythical dimensions,” according to a description from Netflix.

“Having fought a violent war, much of it behind enemy lines, Charles Shelby is now embracing normality. He hasn’t seen his half-brother Duke … in years. Charles severed all ties to the Peaky Blinders gang, and the hedonistic Shelby lifestyle. But can you ever escape your own blood?” the show’s logline reads.

Jessica Brown Findlay, Lashana Lynch and Lucy Karczewski are also set to star in the series, in roles that Netflix says will be revealed at a later date.

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Entertainment

Weekend Watchlist: What’s new in theaters, on streaming

Ready, set, binge! Here’s a look at some of the new movies and TV shows coming to theaters and streaming services this weekend:

Prime Video
Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan: Ghost War: This film based on the TV series stars John Krasinski as the titular CIA analyst.

Apple TV
Maximum Pleasure Guaranteed: Tatiana Maslany and Jake Johnson star in the new original series.

Netflix
The Boroughs: This new series comes from the executive producers of Stranger Things

Ladies First: A man wakes up in a parallel world dominated by women in this new satire film.

Movie theaters
Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu: Pedro Pascal stars in the first theatrical Star Wars film in seven years. 

I Love Boosters: Keke Palmer leads director Boots Riley’s latest film. 

That’s all for this week’s Weekend Watchlist – happy streaming!

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Entertainment

Boots Riley on new film ‘I Love Boosters’ + working with Keke Palmer: ‘She’s such a bright, shining beacon’

‘I Love Boosters’ official poster (NEON)

Boots Riley follows up Sorry to Bother You with his new film I Love Boosters, now in theaters. Like his previous film, the movie blends surrealism, comedy and a star-studded cast, including LaKeith Stanfield, Taylour Paige, Naomi Ackie and Demi Moore.

[I Love Boosters] takes place in the world of professional shoplifters,” he tells ABC Audio. “You could roughly say it’s a heist comedy, and then you just add the fact of the cast, and you don’t have to say more. If you want to know more than that, you want to know too much.”

While Sorry to Bother You used telemarketing to critique capitalism, this film focuses on boosters aka professional shoplifters. Boots says he had personal experience with that world during his years as a “broke rapper” trying to keep up with fashion.

He explains, “I’ve spent decades being a broke rapper … and when you have no money and you’re trying to stay fly, you better call a booster.”

The film follows a group of professional shoplifters who take aim at a cutthroat fashion maven by stealing her clothes and reselling them.

Boots says his interest in boosters comes from how often they are “villainized,” suggesting they play a role in working-class communities and communities of color.

“Boosters serve in a world in which style … is generated from communities of color and other poorer communities that can’t afford the stuff that gets generated from those inspirations,” he argues. “And so boosters actually end up … being something that holds the community together while people are trying to survive.”

The film also stars Keke Palmer, whom Boots says he wanted to challenge creatively.

“People think she’s inspiring on film, and on TV and on Instagram. She’s more so in person,” he says. “She’s such a bright, shining beacon and she is smart as hell.” 

He adds that he believes the film is both of their best work.

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Entertainment

Hello, Goodbye: Paul McCartney turns off the lights on ‘The Late Show with Stephen Colbert ‘

Paul McCartney and Stephen Colbert perform on ‘The Late Show with Stephen Colbert’ ( Scott Kowalchyk ©2026 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

Back in 1964, Paul McCartney played The Ed Sullivan Show with The Beatles. And on Thursday night, he returned to the same venue to turn out the lights on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert.

Sir Paul returned to Ed Sullivan Theater, as it was renamed in 1967, to sit for an interview with Colbert on the host’s final broadcast, and then performed The Beatles’ “Hello Goodbye,” with Colbert singing backup, along with Elvis Costello, former bandleader Jon Batiste and the show’s staff.

During the interview, Colbert asked McCartney if the theater still brings back memories. “When you close your eyes, do you hear the girls screaming?” “Yeah,” McCartney replied as the women in the audience screamed wildly.

“How often does that happen to you at this point?” Colbert asked when the screams died down. “Often,” said McCartney.

McCartney also reminisced about how, when The Beatles were on Ed Sullivan, they got makeup put on them for the cameras and “it was, like, bright orange.” “That’s very popular in certain circles these days,” joked Colbert.  “Now we know where it started. Thanks a lot, Paul McCartney!”

Sir Paul also talked about the romantic vision The Beatles had of America as “the land of the free, the greatest democracy,” adding, “That was what it was. It still is, hopefully.”

Prior to “Hello Goodbye,” Colbert, Costello and Batiste performed an obscure Costello song, “Jump Up.”  Then, as “Hello Goodbye” faded out, Colbert went to turn out the lights, and beckoned McCartney to join him. He threw the switch, the building went dark, and it was then sucked into a wormhole and spit out into a snow globe, being sniffed at by a dog. We then heard Colbert’s voice saying, “C’mon Benny, let’s go,” and the show ended.


Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Entertainment

In brief: ‘Avatar: The Last Airbender’ season 2 trailer and more

The official trailer for Avatar: The Last Airbender season 2 has arrived. Netflix is set to release the second season of the live-action reimagining of the beloved Nickelodeon animated series on June 25. In season 2, the gang of Aang, Katara and Sokka “regroup and set off on a mission to convince the elusive Earth King to aid in their battle against fearsome Fire Lord Ozai,” according to an official description. It stars Gordon Cormier, Kiawentiio, Ian Ousley, Dallas Liu, Elizabeth Yu, Miyako and Momona Tamada …

A24 has finished production on director Dev Patel’s revenge action thriller film The Peasant. Deadline reports that with the project wrapped, it marks the studio’s first production to film in India. Along with Patel, the film stars Christian Friedel, Sebastian Bull, Saurabh Sachdeva, Anasuya Sengupta and Vipin Sharma …

Julianne Moore has found her next project. Variety reports that she is set to executive produce and star in a new comedy film for Netflix. The currently untitled movie comes from Higher Ground, the production company founded by former President Barack Obama and Michelle Obama. It follows a mother who panics when her daughter is offered a promotion that will force her to move across the country …

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Entertainment

Pedro Pascal brought lifelong ‘Star Wars’ fandom to ‘The Mandalorian and Grogu’

Pedro Pascal as The Mandalorian with Grogu in ‘Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu.’ (Lucasfilm)

Din Djarin makes his theatrical debut in the new movie Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu.

Pedro Pascal once again stars as the Mandalorian bounty hunter in the film, which arrives in theaters everywhere on Friday. He told ABC News that one of his earliest memories of going to the movie theater as a child was to see Star Wars.

“I was born in ’75, so there was a rerelease of Star Wars before The Empire Strikes Back because I saw it in the movie theater. Obi-Wan Kenobi was decapitated by Darth Vader in my very, very, very early childhood,” Pascal said. “Getting tickets to Return of the Jedi … it’s just a day I’ll never forget.”

Pascal said this John Favreau-directed film is for the Star Wars fans, but it’s also for people who are just now starting their journey with its expansive universe.

“John Favreau has been brilliant about creating an experience that if you love Star Wars there’s so much in there for you to experience in the context of … all of the Star Wars storytelling that we’ve had from the beginning up until now,” Pascal said. “But it’s also that kind of experience that I had when I saw my first Bond movie, of which I hadn’t seen any of the other ones, I didn’t know who James Bond was.”

Even though he went in unaware of the Bond universe, he left the theater “owned by Moonraker as a kid” and “on a ride that I didn’t want to get off.” 

“I love that this can be that for people,” Pascal continued.

Disney is the parent company of ABC News and Lucasfilm.

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Entertainment

Kerry Washington to star in ‘What Remains’ series in development at Hulu

Kerry Washington of Onyx Collective’s ‘Unprisoned’ poses for a portrait during the 2023 Winter Television Critics Association Press Tour at The Langham Huntington, Pasadena on Jan. 14, 2023 in Pasadena, California. (JSquared Photography/Contour by Getty Images) | The book cover for ‘What Remains.’ (Blackstone Publishing, Inc.)

Kerry Washington has found her next TV role.

The actress is set to star in and executive produce a new thriller drama called What Remains, ABC Audio has confirmed. Hulu is developing the series that is based on Wendy Walker’s 2023 novel of the same name.

What Remains follows what happens to Detective Elise Sutton (Washington) after she takes the life of a disturbed man in the line of duty.

Detective Sutton, who is known as “a devoted wife, loving mother, and cold case specialist — reels from the guilt of her actions,” according to the show’s official logline. “To convince herself that she did the right thing, she makes contact with a mysterious man that she saved that day, only to discover that he’s not at all what he seems. She’s soon caught in a dangerous game of cat and mouse, following the clues he leaves for her and realizing that the only person who can stop him…is her.”

A Million Little Things‘ Chris Luccy is set to write the adaptation while McG will direct it. Both are set to executive produce. The series hails from 20th Television and Kapital Entertainment.

USA Today bestselling author Walker is set to produce the series. Her psychological suspense novels have been translated into over 23 different languages.

Disney is the parent company of ABC News, Hulu and 20th Television.

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Entertainment

Watch Chlöe as talented violinist in trailer for upcoming film ‘Strung’

Chlöe in ‘Strung’ (Courtesy of Peacock)

Chlöe’s worlds of music and acting unite in the upcoming Peacock film Strung.

She plays Laila, “a talented violinist [who] takes a prestigious job as a music tutor for the gifted daughter of an influential and enigmatic family,” according to a press release.

A recently released trailer for the film shows Laila considering the position after being approached by the family matriarch, played by Lynn Whitfield. “We need somebody, a full-time live-in music tutor for my granddaughter,” Lynn’s character says while giving Laila a tour of the home.

“The type of money they paying, it’s the perfect opportunity,” Laila says as decides whether she should take the job.

Things take a turn when she’s introduced to the gifted Zuri, who emerges with a mask on her face and warns, “The Zulu believe if you die in your dreams, you die in real life. Be careful what you dream.”

“As she becomes entangled in their opulent world, unsettling secrets begin to surface, forcing her to question her safety, her dreams, and even her sanity,” the press release says of Laila.

“Something is wrong in that house,” Chlöe says in the trailer.

Strung premieres June 26 and also stars Lucien Laviscount, Anna Diop, Coco Jones and Romy Woods.

“i’m fighting for my life!!!” Chlöe wrote on socials when announcing the film’s trailer.

In a statement, director Malcolm D. Lee said he was drawn to “the script’s twists and turns,” adding that the film combines “lush visuals, captivating performances and a riveting soundtrack that captivates viewers” designed to keep viewers on edge.

He then concluded with a tease: “Prepare to be Strung…”

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Entertainment

‘Emily in Paris’ to end with upcoming season 6

Lily Collins on set of the sixth and final season of ‘Emily in Paris.’ (Giulia Parmigiani/Netflix)

Au revoir, Emily in Paris.

Netflix has announced that the popular romance series will end after its upcoming season 6. The sixth and final season has just started production in Greece.

Lily Collins once again stars as the titular American marketing executive who moved overseas for work. She shared a video message with fans of Emily in Paris after the news broke that the show was coming to an end.

“After six unforgettable years of playing Emily Cooper, I’m here to share that this upcoming sixth season will be our final. Season 6 will bring you everything you love about the show and serve as the final chapter in Emily’s adventure of a lifetime,” Collins said in the video. “Our entire cast and crew are pouring our hearts into making this a fantastic farewell season, which we’re now filming. I can’t wait for all of the magic ahead, and to celebrate our final season with you in the most chic way yet. We’re so incredibly grateful and we love you all. A bientot!”

The video video shows off many of the series’ stars, including Philippine Leroy-Beaulieu, Ashley Park, Lucas Bravo, Lucien Laviscount, Samuel Arnold, Bruno Gouery, William Abadie and Eugenio Franceschini.

Darren Star created the show, which he also executive produces and writes for.

“Making Emily in Paris with this extraordinary cast and crew has been the trip of a lifetime. As we embark on the final season, I am so grateful to Netflix, Paramount, and, most importantly, the fans who have taken this incredible journey with us,” Star said. “We can’t wait to share this last chapter with you. Thank you for letting us be a part of your lives, inspiring your dreams of travel and your love of Paris. We will always have Emily in Paris!” 

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.